Official Odor Recognition Test’s (ORT’s) must be conducted through the NACSW in order to be recognized for trial entry and titling purposes.
What do you need to host an ORT?
- NACSW Approval for your ORT.
- Request must be submitted a minimum of 10 weeks prior to your ORT date/8 weeks for repeat host with a previously approved facility (click on the button at end of this page for the request form).
- An ORT Location must be able to fit 12 boxes with a minimum of 4' spacing between boxes and also between boxes and any walls or objects. The space must also allow for a start line at least 4' from the boxes where the participant can come in the door, close the door and still remain behind the start line.
- An Indoor location or outdoors on concrete or astroturf - no grass, dirt or "natural" surfaces.
- Location must be exclusively used as a ORT test space during the test. No other classes or activities in the same room as the ORT. Half walls and/or barriers are not sufficient to separate the ORT from another activity.
- ORT Judge and ORT Certifying Official.
- A minimum of 25 tests.
- Volunteers or staff to cover check in, gate steward, timer, judge's steward, and box setter jobs. More details are provided in the How to Host an ORT documentation.
- 20-25 clean, unused, identical boxes as specified by the NACSW for a single odor test. Additional boxes required for additional odors.
- Liability coverage - must list NACSW as an additional insured on your policy.
- Ability to enter results in excel (template provided) and email to NACSW.
- Additional supplies, requirements and details as specified in the How to Host an ORT documentation.
- Other criteria may apply.
ORT Guidelines and Information:
- All ORT handlers must be current NACSW members and all dogs must be registered with the NACSW prior to testing at the ORT.
- ORT entries must be available to all current NACSW members and dogs.
- Costs: $5/dog/odor to the NACSW. Judge and Certifying Official fees and any applicable travel expenses for the Judge and Certifying Official. Additional costs may include boxes, location rental, insurance, etc.
ORT Request Process:
- The process begins with an official ORT Request. This will allow the NACSW to ensure that the requester has a sufficient location. Host will need to secure their ORT Officials no later than 6 weeks prior to the ORT. If Officials are not secured, the NACSW reserves the right to cancel the event.
- The NACSW will review your request and may request additional information prior to approving your request.
- If your ORT is approved, you will receive additional ORT information including requirements for the materials you need to submit to the NACSW before and after the ORT. The How to Host an ORT documentation is available upon request by emailing email@example.com and/or will be sent when the ORT is approved.